Revolution Software

• You are not logged in.

#1 Sept. 8, 2012 09:57:49

s_d
Profile   Send e-mail  

Saga of The Order of the Goat

The Order of the Goat

Hark! Do you hear the bleating of the goats in the Kickstarter thread? Do they call to you? Gnawing at your soul? Have you found yourself wondering… what the crap is the Order of the Goat?

Gather 'round, young adventurers… and hear the cryptic Tail of the Goat…

Chapter 1: Double Fine Adventure

Once upon a time, adventure games had become almost a bit of a lost art form, existing in our dreams and memories, and in Germany. People wandered and wondered, “are they dead?”, “will a publisher rescue them?”, “what cost shall I pay to revive my fallen friends?” … and most of all … “are there others like me?”

In February of 2012, some dude named Tim Schafer had a vision of beauty come to him in a dream, with promises of fame, glory, and a modest adventure game budget. Now, this beauty told him that there existed many like him, and like you, and that there was a way he could engage you directly, and cut out publishers all together…

Now, it was not that adventure games were dead; they simply needed restore from a save, from a time before an egregious mistake had been made and a crucial inventory item left behind.

What's that you say, young adventurer? Eh, you already know about DFA? About Kickstarter? Ah, right… that's why you're here.

Well, then, now you must be told of the Adventure Game Revival Movement of 2012.

Chapter 2: Adventure Game Revival Movement

It all started on the Kickstarter project for Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded, the multi-platform remake of the classic Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. Now, you see, young adventurer, no adventure game yet has matched the wild success of Double Fine Adventure. Some have had to resort to creative tactics to meet stretch goals. Some, have had to fight horn-and-hoof for their very survival. On the successful side, we begin our tale of the AGRM of 2012 at the comment thread for Larry Laffer's favorite watering hole, Lefty's Bar:

Rottenwood on April 22 (comment-685121)
@BigD - thanks for the great pledge! If only they took donations
with cents attached, so we could all do our donations with a .69 added in.
Tomtom on April 22 (comment-685248)
@Rottenwood I actually did pledge with .69 added in :-D
but now that you said that they don't accept it I'm confused?! I don't want
my pledge to fail.. Does anyone knows how this works?
Rottenwood on April 22 (comment-685291)
Now I gotta add .69 to my pledge - my juvenile sense of humor demands it!
Tomtom on April 22 (comment-685302)
@ Rottenwood I did add .69 to the first pledge I made about 10 days ago. It's
funny you had the same idea.. I imagine if all of us add .69 that could add
some well needed additional cash.. (hint… ;-)

… two days later…

Tomtom on April 24 (comment-693600)
Great to see we got some new members to our silly little movement that is
Larry Kickstart 69ers
Thank you for bumping up your pledges. To all of you who are worried about the plaque, if or if not there should be one..stop worrying.. The initial idea for me doing the first .69 two weeks ago was me doing a silly joke… Then some days ago I met some fellow freaks and we started the whole thing that is the 69 ers.. We never intended to be on a plaque or so.. For this reason it was so funny hearing from josh and al they they actually were discussing this.. We shouldn't be too worried if it shoulld commemorate the 69ers or everybody else as well,, we'll see what they will do in the end..
And like I said before.. What's a plaque compared to being officially cool and silly :-D
Ok I'll continue rolling on the floor laughing out loud..
Al Lowe on April 24 (comment-690130)
I've just got to say: I think the 69¢ idea is hilarious! Kudos to whoever
came up with that one!

Of course, due to the cheeky, adult, highly-sexualized nature of Leisure Suit Larry fandom, an assortment of variations on the secret society were generated by, erm, highly excitable adventure game fans, such as Larry's Perfect 10, 69'ers, Double 69'ers, Starlets and other creative inventions!

Larry's backers were lured, pub-crawl style, over to much darker surroundings by none other than the creator of Gabriel Knight herself, Jane Jensen, to her Pinkerton Road Studio Kickstarter, where they formed St. George's Knights (tagline Paying for our Father's Sins, $6.66 at a time). The campaign ended hugely successful, achieving all stretch goals a couple of months after the close of the campaign.

That wildly successful movement rolled into the beleaguered Two Guys from Andromeda new concept, SpaceVenture, under the banner of Pinkerton Road Cavalry, where they fought side-by-side with our own Xenon Special Forces ($5.42, for the price of a Jumbo Monolith Burger with Polycheeze, plus 42 cents in honour of Douglas Adams) and our own elite Kickstarter crack unit, the Keronian 151. Here, a true miracle was seen, in which over a third of the needed funds were raised in merely the last five days of the campaign, to the great joy of Space Quest fans the around the world.

In addition to rescuing SpaceVenture from imminent defeat, a squadron was dispatched to assist Tex Murphy's Project Fedora, and gain allies for future offensives. Many of us recruited into, and also recruited XSF back from, Tex's own Mutant League, Triple-8 Chapter ($8.88!). Tex's backers were also composed by a mighty army of brave women Kickstarter soldiers, the powerful and decisive Fedora Femme Fatales. This effort yielded the most successful adventure game funding campaign since Leisure Suit Larry, and ensured that adventure games featuring the overly maligned full-motion video technique would not go gentle into that good night.

Upon the completion of these campaigns, in which US American adventure gaming legends were given a last chance to shine, by their most devoted fans, a couple of small, truly indie projects chose to humbly show their talents to the world. These small, fierce adventure game community members, had both engaged the fans for years by working on free fan games. Some of these projects were completed, to the great pleasure of the fans, but most ideas stuck where most fan games stay; firmly a work in progress.

However, a curious thing occurred… by being tuned into the Kickstarter adventure gaming community, they knew this was the right time test the waters, and in addition to new backers from the community at large, many of Larry's 69'ers were sober enough to stumble their way over, a number of St. George's Knights chose to further pay penance, survivors in the Xenon Special Forces took on the mission with what fuel was left, and the least irradiated of Tex's Mutant League chose to investigate the case.

Blackthorne and Klytos at Infamous Quests launched their Quest for Infamy project, a twisted homage to the beloved Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory series of games. In the process of funding and reaching for stretch goals, the project creators encouraged backers to become Infamous Rogues with a pledge increase over a weekend, for a nice commemorative button (SD admits to being Kinda Infamous) for the morally flexible amongst us, to help fund their adventures in the small town of Volksville, nestled in the sleepy kingdom of Lonaria.

Meanwhile, Stacy Davidson at Warbird Games strapped us into shiny rocket, and sent us to the jungles of Venus, dark & wild, lush & mysterious, in a flashback to 1930's pulp sci-fi. In the style of Edgar Rice Burroughs “Venus” and “John Carter of Mars” stories Jack Houston and the Necronauts will be a Perry Rhodan-esque point-n-click adventure game with unique 2D backgrounds and characters created from stop-motion animated film footage (Stacy is a filmmaker by trade, game programmer by hobby until recently). The protagonist, Jack Houston, is agent thirteen in the fictional space exploration conglomerate, VAST, exploring a world of bubble-helmets and ray-guns. Naturally, backers took up the banner to join Jack's Lucky #13 ($13), tempted by a nice set of awesome looking mini-buttons.

And so, upon the completion of each of these campaigns, and the struggling indies who were given a chance to make it big, thousands of Kickstarter adventure game fans, with all the heart and determination in the world, quested forth, aimlessly… bouncing from Kickstarter film project to comic project… from board game to RPG miniatures… from indie console hardware to Indian curry sauce, searching tirelessly for…

goats?

Chapter 3: “Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse”

This brings us, young adventurers, to when we are now… Saturday, September 8th of 2012, in the wee hours of the morning in this old goat's time zone. This is what transpired…

Michael Hartmann - Order of the Goat
@Riggo @pedasn @other KS veterans: I tried to get a discussion about this going earlier, but I picked a bad time.
What do you think about a Mutant League/Knights of St. George style pledge club? Any ideas for a name and suitable amount?

Actually, stealing and slightly twisting Adam Legge's words “Templars in the shadows” might be a good name.
TheLurker aka Mrs.SD - Order of the Goat
@Michael Hartmann: Going solely on the conversations posted here, I'm guessing Order of the Goat would probably go over fairly well.
@Lurker: I like that. Order of the Goat is great.
Okay, looks like it is the Order of the Goat.
Now for the hard part: What would be a suitable amount to become a member?
TheLurker aka Mrs.SD - Order of the Goat
@Martin: How about you?…remember any significant numbers from Broken Sword?
that is…(and @JJ, also)
Do you recall any numbers that were prevalent, important, or curious from any of the games? …like a phone number, room number, puzzle combination, or unexplained random collection that made you asked yourself whether that number might appear again.
Riggo - Order of the Goat $7.77
As an example here are some of the previous project bumps:
Leisure Suit Larry - Any variation of 69.. Add 0.69, 6,90, 69.69 to your pledge.
Jane Jensen - Add $6.66 to your pledge
Tex Murphy (mutant leaguers) - Add $8.88 to your pledge.

That's why we need a number. We need a figure to add to current pledges.
PopPop - Order of the Goat $7.77
@ Riggo - uhhh, $7.77?
@BigD - how about BS 5 + BASS 2 = 7. Let's do $7.77!!!
I am good with $7.77 by the way.
BigD - Order of the Goat
7.77 - Because we are 111 above evil. Works for me
In fact…..
I believe I am the 1st one there!!!! :-D

The Order is born!

Sometime later…

So when people wake up in a couple hours and see all the Order of the Goat stuff, they'll get a kick out of it or be freaked out.

I believe that, and Lurker's “go over fairly well” probably tie for Understatement of the Campaign

And the rest, as they say… is history…

Chapter 4: The Rationale

Why do this? Well, why do all secret societies exist? They wish to further an inexorable goal, and hasten its coming. Our members put it best when explaining to newcomers…

@Ricky… Yes. It's just a fun way to increase funds for the game by adding an amount above your tier. It goes straight to the game instead of towards rewards.

But, how does one join?

@Neda: All you need to do to become a member of the Order of the Goat is add $ 7.77 to your pledge.

The beauty of this scheme is not only does the extra funds go directly to the game, and although membership is entirely on the honour system, it would take a particularly silly and desperate individual to claim membership of a fictional secret society and masquerade amongst their peers for acceptance. So, it's nearly a certainty that nobody is lying… what would be the point of doing so?

Chapter 5: The Saga Continues

Eh? Expecting something else? Something… mysterious and veiled in conspiracy? Well, it is rumored that the Order has long covered up it's true origins, apocryphal tales of woe and frustration. In fact, recently unearthed documents, such as this website pre-exist the story above, suggesting an ancient and unbroken line of succession, stretching far behind the AGRM (publicly available domain registration records showing it's presence even as far back as October of 2007)! In it, for example, such services for the ancients include mortgages, dental, movies, and even some kind of shoe, as well as custom hair gel. I shudder to imagine what was done to the poor Skloz they imported.

In light of the new data, if anyone else has a better origin story to contribute, please do so in the thread below. The author of best apocryphal Order of the Goat origin story will be awarded a FREE ORDER OF THE GOAT T-SHIRT!*

*The SD clan can be responsible for awarding & mailing the shirt, and the best story will be selected by someone, or “someones” on the Revolution Software team (failing that, The Lurker herself, since we'll be buying the shirt). The “contest” (if you will) runs until BS5 is published for Linux and SD gets to actually fire it up and play. If something happens such that Rev doesn't actually end up making the shirts for whatever reason, then SD promises to Cafepress-up one, himself, for the winner. He doesn't guarantee it will be good, in that contingency. Further, if it so happens that BS5 (the gods forbid!) ends up not being, for any reason, then nobody gets anything, and we all have the right mourn the loss in our own ways, including the drinking of oneself into oblivion (on their own dime).

Epilogue

In closing, a special mention must go out to Michael Ward for this suggestion which was overlooked, but endeared me to it (and I'm writing this Saga, so… editorial license!):

Michael Ward
Only one choice, $5.20. For the 52 gnostic texts of the Nag Hammadi library upon which this game is apparently based. I'm excited about what they do with these ideas and don't want to keep dragging Templar/old Broken Sword stuff back in kicking and screaming, as much as I've loved it through the years. This is year zero for the new Broken Sword, let''s build up a mythology to rival and surpass the old one!

Origin stories in which this suggestion is then subverted into sevens by nefarious actors (including other antagonist possiblities besides much maligned neo-templar, but they are OK as well) will score several extra merits in the eyes of the judges, provided Rev refuse to judge, and Lurker and myself end up judging. Otherwise, there may be no extra merits, but double virtual thumbs up from the SD clan (FWIW).

Edited s_d (Sept. 14, 2012 17:21:58)

#2 Sept. 8, 2012 11:35:18

Gangxxter

This thread is awesome!

Someone needs to create a Facebook fanpage^^

#3 Sept. 8, 2012 18:06:34

DustyShinigami
Profile   Send e-mail  

Surely the amount to pledge should be 1345? As in, “Salah e din 1345”?

Also, some people did marathons - playing all the games straight through in one sitting - in order to raise funds!

“In occidenta sita est in ora mundi”

Twitter

#4 Sept. 8, 2012 22:00:06

FilipT
Profile   Send e-mail  

It is real honor to be member of this order.

#5 Sept. 9, 2012 00:55:43

s_d
Profile   Send e-mail  

Thank you so much for the kind compliments! Both Lurker and I are extremely proud to be a part of this adventure gaming community. Our financial situation has us unable to back as high as we'd like (and, indeed, as highly as we have on our most favourite of projects), but Broken Sword is a masterpiece, and we believe in the team. We believe in their ability to execute on high expectations, maintain the correct modicum of nostalgia, and balance it with a gentle modernisation. And so, it's worth going the extra mile, even if we're not throwing (more!) money at our terminals

That being said, Lurker says she's seen people posting it already. It's not done yet!!

So, while that is highly flattering, stop that, please. We'll try very hard to finish it today!

EDIT: All finished, a few days ago! Let anyone know who may wish to read it.

Edited s_d (Sept. 18, 2012 04:33:51)

#6 Sept. 9, 2012 18:07:38

Intendant_S
Profile   Send e-mail  

As a member of these secret societies since the days of the worship of Larry…Larry Laffer, I approve of both this thread and the Order of the Goat. The Adventure Game Revival Movement couldn't have been made by fans like those on Kickstarter.

“I can't remember the last time I kept my word.”

Proud Knight of the Order of the Goat

#7 Sept. 10, 2012 08:50:14

George
Profile   Send e-mail  

I'd like to post something about the Order of the Goat on my blog, so could one of the members please explain in a few sentences what it's all about? The opening post is fun to read, but it could be a little obscure to some of the more casual backers.

#8 Sept. 10, 2012 15:19:10

flashpc
Profile   Send e-mail  

As a Mutant League member, I would happily pledge to be initiated into the order. How about 8.55 because it kind of looks like BS 5. We need to keep these things simple.

What do you think?

Flash

Edited flashpc (Sept. 10, 2012 15:23:00)

#9 Sept. 10, 2012 15:23:30

Gangxxter

George
I'd like to post something about the Order of the Goat on my blog, so could one of the members please explain in a few sentences what it's all about? The opening post is fun to read, but it could be a little obscure to some of the more casual backers.
To join the “Order of the Goat” you just have to raise your pledge by $7.77 (because BS 5 + BASS 2 = 7 and 6.66 is not evil enough). Then you're allowed to add “Order of the Goat $7.77” to your username on Kickstarter and then you're a full member of the OotG

#10 Sept. 12, 2012 04:40:26

hakan
Profile   Send e-mail  

this was fun, epic story

Board footer

Moderator control

Lo-Fi Version